Contest: Go Cross-Platform with Kotlin!
November 25 to December 14 2015
Have you tried out Kotlin yet? JetBrains’ new language for the JVM and Android is currently rocking the world! Kotlin is a concise, type-safe language for the JVM that gives developers amazing features like extension functions, properties, and lambdas and inline functions. You can even mix Kotlin into your existing Java projects. We at RoboVM are big admirers of this significant evolutionary step in programming languages. Naturally, we teamed up with our friends at JetBrains to bring you our first ever Kotlin contest!
The latest RoboVM release makes it super easy to create native iOS and Android apps in Kotlin! Simply install the RoboVM plugin for IntelliJ IDEA or download RoboVM Studio, and create a cross-platform Kotlin app via the project wizard. The video below walks you through using Kotlin with RoboVM for cross-platform development.
How to Enter
- Create an app using Kotlin and RoboVM for iOS and/or Android
- Publish your app on GitHub
- Tweet your entry using this link:
“I just submitted my app <GitHub URL> for the @robovm @jetbrains Kotlin Contest: https://robovm.com/kotlin-contest”
Don’t have a Mac for iOS development? No problem – we’re accepting Android-only apps as well! IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate and Community edition both have great support for building Android apps with Kotlin on Windows and Linux!
How to win
Want to give your entry the extra edge? Here are some tips:
- Include a screenshot of your app in your tweet
- Blog about how you built your app in Kotlin and include a link in your tweet
- Use Kotlin everywhere – bonus points for shipping a cross-platform app or building your backend in Kotlin, too!
- Grand Prize: Mac mini + 1 year RoboVM Business subscription + 1 year All Products Pack by JetBrains.
- Runner Up: Sphere 2.0 + 1 year of RoboVM Business subscription + 1 year all Products Pack by JetBrains.
- First 25 valid entries: $10 gift card for your choice of Apple App Store or Google Play. Use it to buy some of the great games built with RoboVM! (Games include, Titan Empires, Evostar, Dragonsoul RPG, Grandpa’s table, Goal, Superior Tactics, Hoplite, Oh my Goat, Dash till Puff and more).
All apps must be submitted by end of day PST December 14th 2015! The teams at RoboVM and JetBrains will pick the winners from all submissions. A valid entry consists of your tweet pointing to your app’s GitHub repository. Only one prize will be awarded per participant, and per GitHub repository. Bonus points for cross-platform apps, development logs in form of tweets or blog posts which we’ll happily promote, as well as code quality! Winners will be announced on the RoboVM and JetBrains blogs as well as on Twitter, and will be contacted via GitHub.
Don’t have Kotlin experience? Join 800+ developers already using it and ask questions on Slack!
There is no purchase necessary to enter the contest. If you are not a RoboVM customer, simply start a free 30-day trial of RoboVM.
Any applicable taxes due on winnings to be paid by prize recipient.