Update: The source code for this demo has now been released.

I have spent the last couple of months porting various tests from Android and make sure they run successfully under RoboVM. Important work no doubt but quite boring! So every know and then I need to take a break and do something fun. Last week I spent some time trying to get the latest OpenJFX code to run on iOS and RoboVM. Oracle is gradually open-sourcing JavaFX and moving it to the OpenJFX project. In April the last missing piece to get graphics working on iOS was released (the Prism pipeline native code) so now was a good time to attempt this.

I was quite surprised to see that the first simple sample I tried with almost worked out of the box on the iOS simulator. Kudos to the JavaFX/OpenJFX developers for writing such great code! Next I tried with the BrickBreaker sample from Oracle. Here’s the result (sorry for the bad video quality, my camera sucks):


I had to remove everything font related since the font code has not yet been released by Oracle. But everything else seems to work fine. Once the font code has been open-sourced and the bugs I had to fix in the OpenJFX code have been accepted I’ll write up a post on how to try this out for yourself.